Original vs. Substitute Sam
Sure, it might not be the most beautiful thing you’ve ever drank, but it just might be the healthiest. I was introduced to this smoothie by a good friend of mine, Ben, as a senior in college. As he described it to me I was skeptical whether he was drinking it with enjoyment or just choking it down for the nutrients, but once I tried this smoothie it quickly became a staple in my diet for several reasons:
1: Convenience. It takes less than 5 minutes to prep and can be drank on the way to work or workout.
2: Satiety. This smoothie has plenty of fiber and protein to keep us satiated.
3: Nutrition. Odds are you wouldn’t be on this site if you didn’t care about eating healthy and this smoothie packs nearly a days worth of nutrients into one delicious drink which is why I use this as my post-workout, pre-work drink.
The list of reasons could go on, but I’d like us to remember as much as possible so I’ll make one last plug for trying this. There are several studies suggesting starting with a healthy breakfast sets the tone for the rest of the day’s choices and I personally hate starting off on the wrong foot!
1. Add water to blender/magic bullet first, then add in flax/chia, protein powder and blend for 20 seconds
- 1 C water (8oz)
- 2 TBSP Bob’s Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal
- 3 TBSP Vanilla or Strawberry Myofusion (27g)
2. Add in spinach and banana then puree
- 1/2 C fresh (a tightly packed handful) or frozen (50g)
- 1/2 fresh or frozen large banana (75g)
3. Add in frozen mixed berries and ice and finish blending until smooth
- 1 C frozen mixed berries or feel free to substitute for all blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc. (120g)
- 1-3 ice cubes as needed (texture varies based on frozen vs. fresh ingredients used)
I love cooking food that’s healthy and delicious, but I’ve got a lot to learn and it’s way more fun to hear ideas for recipes and improvements from YOU!