Original vs. Substitute Sam
The only thing more nostalgic than the aroma of freshly baked goodies filling the house is biting into it with no regret and being greeted with a warm chocolaty banana surprise. The secret ingredients we’ll add in these muffins helps trim the calories and give the bread a perfect moist texture.
As a parting gift, it was this very experience I wanted to give a co-worker. After finishing the batter with JUST enough time bake them before work I began to excitedly fill the muffin tins and put them in the oven. As I began to clean up I reached for the cover to the oil when my stomach dropped…
My co-worker was allergic to coconut and I thought today would be a good day to try baking with coconut oil. I felt terrible as I came into the office and explained what had happened, but of course she was extremely understanding and responded with the always reassuring, “It’s the thought that counts”.
Nonetheless, I was happy to see the muffins did not go to waste and I suspect the rest of the office must have taken a collective sigh of relief when they heard there was one less mouth to feed!
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients except chocolate chips and mix well
- 1 1/2 TSP baking soda
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/4 C Truvia Baking Blend
- 1 1/2 C Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/4 C Bob’s Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal
3. In a separate bowl combine all the wet ingredients and mix well
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 C Oikos non-fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 TSP vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/4 C unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 C coconut oil
4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well
5. Fold in chocolate chips until just mixed
- 1/3 C chocolate chips
5. Line muffin tin with cups or coat with cooking spray and spoon batter into each tin
6. Bake for 18 minutes or until tooth pick can be removed cleanly from muffins
7. Remove from oven and try not to eat the entire batch!
I love cooking food that’s healthy and delicious, but I’ve got a lot to learn and it’s way more fun to hear ideas for recipes and improvements from YOU!