Original vs. Substitute Sam
After Simply Sinless Pie Crust was discovered it gave me an excuse to start experimenting with all sorts of pies. Naturally, I went to the blog that sparked my curiosity in healthy substitutions, Chocolate Covered Katie.
The first recipe I ever tried from her was a chocolate pie filling with tofu and it turned out surprisingly delicious. Combining a few of her ingredients with my previous kitchen adventures with protein powder I was able to create a delectable pie filling that’s high in protein and low in calories.
I chose to omit some ingredients in her original recipe that led to a few less-than-perfect pie fillings (including a sloppy showing at a family Christmas party), but I always remind myself a failure is a perfect opportunity to find a creative way around it.
This is especially true in the kitchen where the worst that happens is you have to eat your mistake by yourself. It was from these mistakes this recipe was born!
1. Prepare Simply Sinless Pie Crust and begin baking while we prepare the filling
2. In a blender/bullet combine and puree
- 1 package Mori Nu Extra Firm Tofu (must be extra firm or pie gets runny)
- 1/2 envelope Knox Gelatin
- 4 TBSP vanilla protein powder (I use Myofusion Delicious Vanilla)
- 1/2 packet Jello Sugar Free Fat Free Cheesecake Pudding
- 1/2 C milk (I use Unsweetened Blue Diamond Vanilla Almond/Coconut Blend)
3. Pour 3/4 of the filing into the prepared Simply Sinless Pie Crust and save 1/4. Combine strawberries with remaining mix and puree
- 1/3 C strawberries (75g)
4. Slowly pour strawberry puree in a circular pattern around pie filling. Place a chopstick or skewer in the middle of the strawberry puree and begin a side to side motion to design the pattern.
5. Place pie in the fridge and allow gelatin and pudding mix to set for at least 2 hours (longer the duration the more firm it is).
6. Remove, slice, and enjoy!
Tip: Texture is more similar to pudding pie than cheesecake, try experimenting with other flavors of pudding and protein and let me know if you find any keepers.
I love cooking food that’s healthy and delicious, but I’ve got a lot to learn and it’s way more fun to hear ideas for recipes and improvements from YOU!